The Lower Polk Community Benefit District allocates 57% of its budget for cleaning, safety and maintenance in the district.
The Cleaning, Maintenance and Safety Program supplements services already provided by the Department of Public Works and other relevant City agencies. The comprehensive program aims to ensure owner, merchant, resident, and visitor safety while providing for the maximum possible cleanliness of sidewalks, curbs, fixtures, landscaping, and buildings throughout the LPCBD boundaries. Through the utilization of managed services, the Cleaning, Maintenance, and Safety program will strive for a safe, clean, and litter-free area that is absent of graffiti or other signs of decay. The goal is for property owners, merchants and residents alike to maintain a sense of pride in the Lower Polk Street area. Cleanliness is crucial to thee stablishment and growth of an aesthetically pleasing, safe, and vibrant community.
The LPCBD’s Cleaning, Maintenance, and Safety program includes regular sidewalk sweeping, alley cleaning, refuse removal, regularly scheduled steam cleanings, pressure washing, graffiti removal, tree pruning and watering, tree well weeding with crushed granite replenishment, and a variety of safety efforts.
The program will work with residents, merchants, and youths on a variety of safety programs and strategies. Property owners and merchants expressed interests in furthering efforts for crime prevention and pedestrian safety in the district at meetings about the LPCBD. The Owners’ Non-profit Association will collaborate with the San Francisco Police Department and work with the community and service providers on safety programs. The LPCBD will have community ambassadors who will provide assistance to visitors and assist in crime prevention, way-finding, tracking and cleaning graffiti, and assisting the homeless with social services outreach and information.
- Removal of litter, debris and cigarette butts on sidewalks from
the building line to 18” into the street gutter – Daily
- Damp wiping and straightening of public fixtures (such as trash can lids and news racks) – Daily
- Power Washing of sidewalks and alleys (spot cleaning of most heavily trafficked areas/spills/stains) – Regular as needed
- Removal of graffiti on private property with property owner consent – Within 48 hours
- Removal of graffiti from public infrastructure – As required
- Removal of isolated weeds (larger concentrations of weeds removed by cutting) – As needed
- Special Projects. Defined as painting of public infrastructure, cleaning of tree wells, or other similar projects As requested – As requested
- Safety Ambassadors – Daily
- Foot patrol – all areas to serve as a reassuring presence and a visible deterrent – Daily
- Continually engage members of the public to provide directions, recommendations and other information as necessary – Daily
- Interact with merchants to share safety related information or learn about merchants’ concern’s related to street level activity – Daily
- Report any observed illegal behaviors to the police and document behavior – Daily
- California St. from Larkin St. to Van Ness Ave. (South side only)
- Van Ness Ave. from California St. to Post St. (East side only)
- Post Street from Van Ness Ave. to Franklin Street (South Side only)
- Franklin St. from Post St. to Geary. Blvd. (East side only)
- Geary Blvd. from Franklin St. to Van Ness Ave. (North side only)
- Van Ness Ave. from Geary Blvd. to Alice B. Toklas Pl. (East side only)
- Alice B. Toklas Pl. from Van Ness Ave. to Polk St. (North side only)
- Myrtle St. from Polk St. to Larkin St. (North side only)
- Larkin St. from Myrtle St. to California St. (West Side Only)
In addition to the above boundary description, the District boundaries also include Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716 -002, with the following boundaries:
- Myrtle Street from Larkin Street to Northwest corner of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716-002 (North side of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716 -002 only)
- Larkin Street from Myrtle Street to O’Farrell Street (West side of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716 -002 only)
- O’Farrell Street from Larkin Street to Southwest corner of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716-002 (South side of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716-002 only)
- Southwest Corner of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716-002 (Westside of Assessor’s Parcel No 0716-002) to Northwest Corner of Assessor’s Parcel No. 0716-002